Anyway, back to last nights intervals... here's how they went:
Ride was on county roads that were somewhat curvey, with some easy rollers.
- 20 minute warm up moving HR up an down to zone 3 (tempo pace intensity)
- Int #1= 6 min, av speed 25.0, 161 AHR, 2.52 miles (fairly flat with some curves)
- 3 min recovery
- Int #2= 6 min, av speed 23.3, 166 AHR, 2.34 miles (curve, cracky pavement, 1/3 hill in middle)
- 3 minute recovery
- Int #3= 2.5 min, av speed 24.1, 160 AHR, 1.01 miles (started on a slight hill, then flat smooth)
- Int #4= 6 min, av speed 22.5, 162 AHR, 2.29 miles (started on a steep, but short hill, then smooth rollers)
- Cool down ride till I hit about 1 hour of riding
Ok, I had to throw in a 2.5 minute interval because where I was, approaching a small town, Mantorville, I couldn't start a full 6 min interval so I went as long as I safely could. Then it took me 3 minutes to get back on a county road to resume. Then I did the last interval. I was striving to reach and hold around 170 for an average heart rate (AHR). I usually got to 169-171, but the average fluctuated. The first interval was quite a bit lower as I treated it almost as a warmup because I didn't want to go all-out after just a 20 minute warmup. I was happy with the average speeds though. I realize as I get older my HR's may come down, but if I can maintain the same average speeds while racing that I have in the past few years I'll be more than happy with that.