Tuesday, July 19, 2011

HOT A$$ RIDE/RUN

On Sunday I had to put in a 3.5 hour ride and a 30 minute run.  Yes, on Sunday.  I figured I'd beat the heat by leaving around 7am.  I think not.  This time, however, I would stock up on calories and test out just a little further what I need for IMWI.  I brought with me the following:

  • 2 bottles of water (Aerodrink, small bottle on frame)
  • Two large bottles of HEED on tail wing (a little week--one scoop in each bottle--200 total cals)
  • 1 pack of Clif Bloks (200 cals)
  • 1 pack of Chomps (90 cals)
  • ABJ sandwich (two slices of Great Harvest White Bread--240 cals, raw almond butter--about 170 cals, blueberry preserves--50 cals?--total sandwich = approx. 440 cals)
  • 2 servings of HEED to mix with refills of water (would be 200 cals)
  • One Hammer Gel (90 cals)
    • TOTAL CALS with me = 1240
During the ride I thought I was doing good taking in plenty of cals and water.  I even stopped at a Kwik Trip to refill with water so I wouldn't have to conserve.  By the time I got off the bike I only had one bottle of plain water left as far as water fluid was concerned, but only took down the Clif Bloks, the sandwich, Chomps, two bottles of HEED (never mixed the dry mix).  I forgot I had the Hammer Gel and just didn't have time to mix the HEED.  I was feeling pretty full of fluids and felt pretty good.  However, the last 5 miles were killer--I was hitting the wall.  Also, in the last five miles I didn't want to fill up on more fluids and feel it sloshing around during the run.  Total calories I took in during the bike: 930.  Total ride was 3:34:32, 71.6 miles (20.02 MPH).   NOT ENOUGH CALORIES.  Factor that in with the heat and....well, needless to say, I bonked hard during the run.  Only managed 25 minutes of running--a mere 3.29 miles (7:36 per mile pace).

Next week at Chisago I will be loaded with at least 1000 calories.  Actually, probably try to take in at least 1000, but have around 1200 with me.  Its yet another test for IM.

No comments: