Monday, January 18, 2010

I Spoke To Soon

I thought I was progressing thru my right hip problem. After my run on Saturday it felt ok for a while then later that night the pain came back full-force.

The racing season is creeping up and building up running mileage/time takes a while. You can't just resume where you left off as if you hit pause on a DVD. I'm looking at the calendar and thinking there's only 3-4 months till running races start and right after that du's, then tri's, etc. So I gave in and had an appointment with Sports Med today. They don't think it’s a big deal, but referred me to PT and are doing an x-ray as well. No MRI because they said the treatment would be the same. I basically need to strengthen the muscles that attach to the iliac crest (the knobby part of the outer hip that is just under your waist/belt line). That pretty much means all the muscles in your upper leg and butt--even some core muscles. Doc said its sort of 'dove-tailing' off of my right ITB problem from 2008. All the leg/hip muscles that attach there get worked and its not so much a matter of what I did on any particular day, but more of a cumulative effect and it just all came together and caused the problem. They don't think it’s a big deal though and said it'll resolve. I gotta trust'em.

No comments: