Thursday, September 18, 2008

Finally, a pain-free run

I have been switching back and forth between two pair of shoes. They are different brands, but feel about the same. However, the ones I raced in on Saturday are now shot. They're grass cutters now. On Sunday I went to the Running Room and after 1.5 hours I left with a pair of Adidas Supernova Sequence. Ahh... the feel of new shoes.

On Tuesday I saw the physical therapist again. I told him about the race, where and when the pain kicked in, and had the new shoes along with me too. Since the tendon pain wasn't noticable or was overpowered by the ITB pain, he suspected my footwear and/or my feet themselves. He accessed that I have the flattest feet in the 5 county area (actually, he didn't say that...he said "Your flat feet make my flat feet look like I have high arches"). He then fit my shoes with some Lynco sport orthotics. WOW... felt like he just stuffed a golf ball in each shoe. Once I walked in them for a couple minutes it felt sort of 'massage like'. I left with the orthotics and of course, a couple new stretches and exercises. I did a couple short jogs that day to get a feel for the footwear and left it at that.

Wednesday I had a brick workout to do. Rode inside at a moderate pace for about an hour, then hit the road for a 3.5 mile run. I was hesitant to do anything more than a jog, and was paranoid about whether or not the pain would kick it, and when. After a about 10 minutes, I increased the pace a little--moving into the tempo range--everything felt ok. With about a 1/2 mile to go I ran a little harder. Three and a half miles and NO PAIN!! YES!

Ok, I'm not saying 'problem solved' just yet. I am going to continue stretching, doing the recommended exercises, and stick to the training plan, but not at full length or intensity just yet.

No comments: