For the bike+run brick I did on Sunday I ended up doing at probably the hottest, or close to the hottest time of the day--from 11am - 2:30pm. I got up at 6am thinking I would get it in early and have the rest of the day to do stuff around the house. However, a storm moved in and delayed things. I finally headed out at 11. I need to nail down my nutrition plan, but on this day, I totally messed up how much to take. For the 3 hour ride (61.7 miles) I had the following:
- Full water in aero bottle, reg size water bottle on bike (frame), two large bottles in the tail wing--one with water, one with HEED (1.25 servings so about 125 cals)
- Half ABJ (Almond butter and jelly) Sandwich of about 200 cals
- 1 Hammer Gel - 90 cals
- TOTAL CALORIES taken in= 415. Probably should have had 1000-1500 to truly test what I needed and could handle.
The mistake was that I planned on bringing a couple packs of Clif Bloks, but forgot them. What was I thinking? Two packs would have gotten me 400 more cals--maybe not enough, but would have definitely helped.
Despite the lack of caloric intake, the bike actually went well. I was feeling a little 'bonkish' in the last 10 miles and was conserving the last bit of water, but had more left than I thought in the last few miles so I drank it down. Due to the heat, I was drenched in sweat. When I got home, I drank a half can of Lipton Lemonade then ran. The first 2 miles of the run were good--THEN I BONKED. After I finished the run, I could not quench my thirst. Here's what I had:
- finished can of lemonade
- 12 oz can of Lipton Iced Tea
- about 24 oz of vanilla light soymilk (washing down a Clif Bar)
- about 20 oz of water
- Bomb Pop, 1
- 1 peach
By that time I was FULL, but continued to choke down the rest of the Clif Bar. Then took down a couple cookies, then a stack of graham crackers. I was just craving sweets. I was totally worthless for the next couple of hours. I'm getting tired now just thinking about it.