Thursday, October 14, 2010

Gotta Heal

Two days after the Cannon-Wells Du (Sept 25), I pulled something in my calf.  Not right on the achilles, but about 6 inches up from the ground.  I was supposed to do a 16 mile run on Sept 26 as I was a month out from the Mankato Marathon, then a longer run the next weekend, then a couple weeks to taper and I'd be set.  Instead, I ended up helping some family out with dock removal on the 26th.  The run was pushed to the evening of the 26th, but by that time I was too tired.  I wasn't even able to loosen up and stretch out that day.  Not a good thing following a race.  The next day I figured I'd do the 16 miler.  Pressed for time, I only had about an hour and a half to run so I figured I'd get in what I could.  Maybe 12 miles or so.  I started the run too fast--first 4 miles were sub 7 minutes.  I felt fine.  I was in the Saucony A4's and they felt great, soft, easy.  About mile 9, pain struck, mid-calf.  I slowed to a jog and by the time I got home it was 10.5 miles.  I laid off it a few days.  Put in a couple short runs, up to 6 miles after a week and a half.  I was off track for the marathon, but thought a half was do-able.  This past Saturday morning I put on the new VFF Sprints and headed out for a 10 miler with the thought of doing 5, then switching shoes for the other 5.  After 5 I barely felt warmed up so I stayed with the VFF's.  At the 6.5 point the pain came back--it was pissed off this time. Electric shock-like pain up my leg from the calf.  Ouch!   I was not sure what it was so I let it rest for a few days. Cramp, pull, tear...?   Went on an experimental jog last night--two miles in and BAM!

I am skipping Mankato and am going to, it hurts to say this, not run for the next 10 days.  I am wear my high heels (stability running shoes).  After wearing racing flats and VFF's, the stability shoes are totally like high heels, but they will keep my achilles/calf from stretching too far while walking which hopefully will allow it to heal.  Ice, anti-inflammatory meds including bromelain around the clock.  I'll start stretching it out in a couple days, then start walking in the VFF's again.  I'm going to have to start over (almost) with running the VFF's, but I have a long time before any racing again so I can trial-and-error different ways to get back into it. Cycling, swimming, eliptical, and other cross training will have to do for a while....

2 comments:

Brian said...

Sorry to hear about this. You are making the right decision.

Mario said...

Its my "one-injury" theory. When you think the injury has resolved, it hasn't. Its just gone underground for a couple days just to pop up somewhere else. I think this applies to car related problems too.