Monday, May 18, 2009

Stay Out of the Sun Run (5k)

Staying out of the sun was not a problem. It was a little misty the whole time and cool, but I thought that was sort of nice for a 5k puke-up-a-lung pace. My goal was 18:30 which would have been a 5k PR for me. Last fall I did a race from this same location in 18:53 and thought I could get to 18:30 no problem. However, they changed the course from last fall and added more hills. Not to be cruel, but due to logistics of having a 10k and a fun walk in addition to the 5k, they had to use what worked the best. Also, they had nearly 700 participants between the 3 events! The course change had us going over and back over more overpasses. Also, the first 1/3 to 1/2 mile goes down hill to start the race, you get that going up to finish.

I was on pace at mile 2 to a PR (11:42 at the 2 mile split), but then the last overpass and the long hill to the finish. Robert and I are both in the 30-39 AG, but they pulled the overall man and woman out of the AG's so I moved to 1st in the 30-39. I don't know how I feel about that, but I guess I'll take it.

When the results were first printed, they didn't have Rob on there--the announcer knew who he was and announced it when he won, but the timing service wasn't ready for someone to come thru in 16 minutes. Crazy fast! Results are HERE.

No comments: