Thursday, October 30, 2008

Experiment

I can't wait till the election is over. Maybe the economy will be 'stimulated' when the political commercials end. Why...? Because we will see the return of junk food adds, diet scams, (multibillion dollar industry), must-have toys and electronics, and restaurants. Maybe the economy is in slump because we don't know what's for sale? Hmmm...

Speaking of restaurants-- I don't go out to lunch very often during the week, but I decided to go out. I needed to get away from work for a bit. I had just seen for the hundredth time an email (also on youtube, watch TV long enough you'll see it, etc) where Obama tells that guy (aka Joe the plumber) when referring increased taxes and what he'll do with them he says "a little bit more for the folks who are most in need". When I saw that homeless guy that is always at one of the entries to Walmart, I decided to do an experiment... You may think this it sad, toying with the homeless guy, but it turned out pretty good for him. Here's how it went:

The homeless guy had the usual sign that said "Homeless. Anything will help." But he also had an Obama sign leaning against his bag. No doubt that a footsoldier for that camp gave him a sign so people that see it will associate him with who Obama will be saving. I parked and went into the restaurant. The waitress (or "server" to be politically correct) had on an "Obama 08" pin, so free to display her political preference. When the bill came I decided not to tip the server (not because of the pin, but because of the experiment). I explained to her that I was trying to put the Obama redistribution of wealth concept to work--even before he does. She stood there confused while I told her that I was going to redistribute her tip to someone who I deemed more in need--the homeless guy outside. After all, she gets a wage anyway. I was going to ask her how much she gives him on a daily basis, but refrained. The server just walked away. She looked mad. As I drove away, I gave the homeless guy $5 and told him to thank the server inside as I've decided he could use the money more. The homeless guy thought this was great. At the end of my totally unscientific redistribution experiment I realized the homeless guy was grateful for the money he did not earn, but the waitress was pretty angry that I gave away the money she actually earned even though the actual recipient deserved money more. I guess redistribution of wealth is an easier thing to swallow in concept than in practical application.

No comments: