Monday, February 26, 2007

Shoveling vs. Racing + I could have finished 2nd in the Amgen Tour Of California

The Tour of California wrapped up this weekend with American Levi Leipheimer winning it! He led from the first day when he won the prologue, saw his lead slim down to 3 seconds(?) then he padded it with 18 seconds during the ITT. It wasn't all Levi as Discovery Channel protected and served him well. Results and theoretical results are at the end.

Now on to a what's really important. While those boys in the ToC were enjoying the sun and the beautiful California riding conditions, up here in the mid-west had to endure a BLIZZARD! After shoveling ice, slush, and snow on Saturday, then putting in a 2.5 hour indoor ride, Sunday was a repeat only to wake up again to shovel a foot of the crap. Actually, I put in a 90 minute ride (indoor, duh) prior to the second stage of shoveling. I consider that brick training. Now I ask, what's tougher, a double brick shoveling-cycling then cycling-shoveling or riding in a whimpy 8 day tour? Come on, only like 113 of 144 finished all 8 days of racing anyway. Did they come up here to shovel? I doubt it. If you tally up the time I shoveled and rode from the start of the tour on 02/18 it equals 11.5 hours (9 hours riding, 2.5 hours shoveling). Some pro coaches say to give yourself an extra .25 hours of credit for every 1 hour of indoor riding so theoretically I put in 11.25 hrs of riding and 2.5 shoveling for a total of 13.75 hours. Was I able to draft like Levi...? No. Did I need to? That's not the point, I had to ride indoor! So, double my bike time for having to ride indoors, and you get 22.5 + 2.5 shoveling= 25 hours. I trained more than Levi raced, but less than Jens Voigt so I guess I'll take 2nd, theoretically, in the Tour of California.

Final General Classification (top 11 of 113 finishers)
1 Levi Leipheimer (USA) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team 24.57.24 (24 h, 57 m, 24 s)
(2 theoretical) Mario Minelli (USA) Peace Coffee .03
2 Jens Voigt (Ger) Team CSC 0.21
3 Jason McCartney (USA) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team 0.54
4 Bobby Julich (USA) Team CSC 1.06
5 Stuart O'Grady (Aus) Team CSC 1.16
6 Christian Vandevelde (USA) Team CSC 1.24
7 Michael Rogers (Aus) T-mobile 1.32
8 Ben Day (Aus) Navigators Insurance Cycling Team 1.38
9 Franco Pellizotti (Ita) Liquigas 1.41
10 Ryder Hesjedal (Can) Health Net Presented By Maxxis 1.57
11 Christopher Horner (USA) Predictor-Lotto 2.09

No comments: